This drink is inspired by Harry Potter.
I have loved Harry Potter since my Freshman year in High School. I remember waiting in line at Barnes & Noble before each book release. Certainly, going to each movie release at the midnight showing with friends was always a must. Thinking back, I wished I could turn 11 again just to have dreams of the possibility of getting a Hogwarts letter, by owl of course.
Because of my love for the books, I will honestly do anything to get into the feels of Harry Potter nostalgia. Also, I love delicious drinks. Hot chocolate, cider, lattes and coffee. All the drinks. So, when I found a recipe for a Latte inspired by my favorite book, I just had to try it! So here is a recipe for a Harry Potter inspired Butterbeer Latte.
Published January 26, 2021
Updated March 2, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
What inspired this recipe?
Raising our kids as book lovers is one of my greatest joys. Our oldest, Samuel, has such a fun time when reading books that Tyler and I have loved since our childhood and teen years. Narnia, Harry Potter, C.S. Lewis’s Space Trilogy, Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson, and so many more. He devours books faster than we can get them in his eager hands.
I find such joy in going on adventures to places such as Hogsmeade, Narnia aboard the ships, to Camp Half-blood, and aboard the Hogwarts Express with Samuel.
For Christmas a few years back, my mother-in-law gifted me The Battle of Hogwarts, a cooperative card game, and every time we play, I make Butterbeer Lattes. For instance, who would not want to have the full experience?! Next time I might make some pumpkin pasties or get some chocolate frogs and Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans. If it was not for Covid-19 and restrictions, Samuel’s 11th birthday party would have been a serious Harry Potter fan-fest. But alas… maybe next year.
Just the other day we had a fantastic snow and the boys requested Butterbeer after shoveling. It is so yummy and warm, and I just love making it! I know you will too!
And yes, I do have a Marauder’s Map cup!
Cost to make this recipe
Below is the cost breakdown for this recipe for a Harry Potter inspired Butterbeer Latte.
1 Tbsp unsalted Butter $0.12
1 cup Milk $0.17
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar $0.29
Dash of Cinnamon $0.01
1 tsp Vanilla $0.03
The total cost to make a Butterbeer Latte is $0.62.
Butterbeer Latte Recipe
1 Tbsp unsalted Butter
Milk, 1 cup per serving
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Dash of Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla
Directions to make Butterbeer Latte
1. Place a large saucepan on the stove. Make sure it is large enough for the milk which you will add later.
2. Firstly, place 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter and 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar into saucepan per serving.
3. Turn heat to Medium-High heat and then let the mixture start to combine to caramelize.
4. The butter and sugar will start to caramelize, then large bubbles will begin to form on the surface.
This mug was from my sister-in-law Sara for Christmas the other year. It is one of my favorites and I guard it with my life; especially with two boys who do the dishes! Additionally, I have to make sure to remind them to NOT put it in the dishwasher.
5. Then SLOWLY add the milk to the caramel, do not worry if the caramel clumps up, just keep mixing! There may be steam that rises, and your milk and caramel might bubble up. Just keep whisking and slowly adding more milk. If needed, take the pan off the heat while adding the milk. Make sure your pan is big enough to avoid overflow.
6. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and dash of cinnamon and then whisk to combine.
7. Pour the Butterbeer Latte into a mug or use a ladle. Add a dash of cinnamon or whipped cream on the top for an extra dose of deliciousness!
This is seriously the yummiest drink next to from scratch cocoa, which our family also loves. The hardest part is being patient to drink it slowly because it is the most delicious drink.
Seriously, what could be better than a delicious Butterbeer Latte and a fire on a chilly day? I feel like I could just jump into the books and get lost for a few hours while sipping this Butterbeer Latte. I have not tried it with coffee or alcohol, but I am pretty sure it would be just amazing. Maybe a little Kalua? If you have tried it a different way, let me know in the comments!
Butterbeer Latte Recipe
How to Make Harry Potter Inspired Homemade Butterbeer Latte
- Medium Saucepan
- Measuring Cup
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Milk
- dash Cinnamon
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove.
- Place 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter and 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar into saucepan.
- Turn heat to Medium-High heat and then let the mixture start to caramelize.
- The butter and sugar will start to caramelize and will start to bubble in the pan, additionally, when the caramel is done, the color will change to be a darker color.
- Then SLOWLY add the 1 cup milk to the caramel. Do not worry if the caramel clumps up, just keep mixing!
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and dash of cinnamon to the pan and whisk to blend.
- Pour the Butterbeer Latte into a mug or use a ladle and enjoy!
- For an extra delicious drink, top with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
One response to “How to Make Harry Potter Inspired Homemade Butterbeer Latte”
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply