Last night I made one of my husband’s favorite meal, Chicken Tetrazzini. My mother-in-law Christina gave me her recipe a few years ago and it is seriously amazing! It takes about 30 minutes of prep and then 1 hour to cook. This bake dish is so good sprinkled with a good smoked paprika and a side of steamed vegetables. Last night we did not have broccoli, cauliflower and carrots so I used green beans. Tetrazzini is so filling, and we always end up with loads for leftovers; even with 2 super hungry boys! Here’s to hoping you enjoy this recipe as much as our family does.
Published August 7, 2021
Updated March 10, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
What you will Need
There are a few extras that are involved with this Chicken Tetrazzini bake. A good smoked paprika to sprinkle on the top before the dish is baked is a must.
Below is also a cost breakdown for this recipe.
6 boneless chicken breasts $8.00
1 stick unsalted butter $0.96
2 cans cream of chicken soup $1.50
2 cans cream of mushroom soup $1.50
16 oz cream cheese OR Greek Yogurt $1.00
Shredded parmesan cheese $1.00
1 Package Spaghetti noodles $2.09
The total cost for this Chicken Tetrazzini is $16.12.
Directions for Chicken Tetrazzini
1. Put a pot of water on the stove and heat until boiling, then cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package’s direction, breaking the pasta into thirds. When fully cooked, drain in a sink colander and mix the pasta into sauce. Our oldest son, Sam, help break the pasta and put it into the water. This is an amazing skill for kids to learn! For his first time, he did pretty well; until he dipped his hand accidentally into the water.
This sink colander extends over most sink sizes and helps to keep your food off of the sink basin. We use this to strain pasta, wash vegetables and more. Check it out by clicking the link below.
2. Cook chicken and shred. My favorite way to cook chicken is to put it on medium heat until you start to see it turn white on the edges, typically 3-7 minutes. This cook time will depend on your stove. Flip the chicken breasts over, cover, and then turn off the heat. Set a timer for ten minutes and let the pan sit on the hot burner. Once the ten minutes is up, the chicken should be fully cooked and still super juicy! Take one piece of chicken at a time onto a plate with a fork and then shred it with two forks, or you can cut the chicken pieces into chunks.
MAKE SURE TO FULLY COOK CHICKEN BEFORE YOU EAT IT
3. In a large bowl mix the cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken together with sour cream OR Greek yogurt. If you want a lower fat option, try plain Greek yogurt as it is fat free. For example, Greek yogurt is amazing with tacos, in sauces, bake dishes and as a replacement for sour cream. As Greek yogurt is higher in protein, it is easier to digest than regular yogurt.
4. Using a large spatula, add the shredded chicken pieces into the sauce mixture and pasta and then stir to combine.
5. Using a large spatula, scoop the chicken and pasta mixture into greased baking dish.
6. Sprinkle the top with paprika and then top with shredded parmesan cheese.
I completely forgot to use the parmesan cheese this time! What a bummer because it melts and gives such an amazing crusty top with the paprika. As I am from Wisconsin, cheese is a staple. We put cheese on everything. I cannot believe I forgot to add the cheese!
7. Bake Chicken Tetrazzini in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, when done, this dish is bubbly, cheesy and so moist that it will become an instant favorite.
When cooked, let Chicken Tetrazzini rest for 5-minutes before serving. This bake dish is best served with steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Typically, we buy the big bag of mixed veggies that steams in the microwave, however, there seems to be a shortage when I have been shopping lately.
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
Chicken Tetrazzini Bake
- 9 X 13-inch bake dish
- Large Saucepan
- Sink Colander
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 1 stick Butter
- 2 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 16 oz Greek Yogurt OR Sour Cream
- Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Fill a 6-Quart pot with water and then bring it to a boil.
- Cook the spaghetti pasta and then drain in a sink colander when done.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch bake dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large saucepan, cook the chicken breasts.
- When cooked, cut the chicken on a cutting board.
- In a large bowl mix the 2 cans of cream of mushroom and 2 cans cream of chicken together with 16-oz sour cream OR Greek yogurt.
- Using a large spatula, add the sliced chicken pieces into the sauce mixture and then stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to the bowl and mix well with the sauce.
- Using a large spatula, scoop the chicken and pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with paprika and then top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake Chicken Tetrazzini in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
2 responses to “Mother-in-laws Fabulous Chicken Tetrazzini Bake”
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply