The few times this recipe has been made in our house, it went off with a hit, with very little leftovers! Tonight, was no different. Everyone had seconds or thirds and Tyler was also able to have a great portion for lunch the next day. One tip to make this recipe pop is to make your own cream of mushroom soup, trust me, when you make it from scratch you will not go back to pre-packaged! This recipe for French Onion Beef Casserole is simple and delicious and will soon be a quick favorite.
Published November 11, 2021
Updated March 11, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
When you have a mushroom hater
At first, when mentioning what was for dinner, the kids were not happy to have cream of mushroom soup. When it was time to eat, and let them know the mushrooms were minced, they tasted the dinner and found it fantastic. They were so glad to not have to pick small mushrooms out of their dinner.
Typically, dicing the mushrooms is enough, but tonight I thought about using my Cuisinart Food Processor to mince the mushrooms. Instead of taking ten minutes to dice them, they were minced in less than one. Seriously, that was just the best time saver, and knowing our kids would eat dinner without picking through their food was just as reassuring.
For this French Onion Beef Casserole recipe, there are mushrooms in the sauce as it is made with cream of mushroom soup. Typically, I would have used cream of mushrooms soup from a can, however, the canned version has not been up to its typical standard and I decided to make this recipe using a homemade cream of mushroom soup.
Additionally, Matthew is not a fan of mushrooms and can get very particular about them in meals. Processing the mushrooms, before making the soup base, helped to break the mushrooms down to more of a puree than chunks. With the mushrooms in this form, Matthew then ate dinner with no complaints!
Cost breakdown for this bake dish
Before we had four kids, pricing meals was not part of my meal plan. However, with four kids with one income, Tyler and I really work towards cooking healthy meals at a great price. Some of the foods I make homemade are bread, bagels, granola bars, pasta, tortillas and sauces, please check out a few more recipes by clicking the links below. For example, they are separated into categories like Dessert, Dinner, DIY, Recipes and more.
Instead of paying a small fortune for food that is pre-made, the ingredients cost a fraction and they stretch further than just one meal. If you want to try saving money or start a budget, making food from scratch and learning how to cook on a budget while maintaining delicious and healthy meals is the way to go! Plus, food costs are just insanely high right now, so why pay $15 for a takeout pizza when you can make 3 for under $10?! For example, Crab Rangoon pizza is amazing and be sure to check out the recipe by clicking the link below.
With this meal, making cream of mushroom soup did not cut the cost, but increased it by a few dollars. Still, this meal was really reasonably priced, and we had leftovers!
2-pounds ground beef $7.38
1 package egg noodles $1.25
Cream of mushroom soup $2.59
Greek yogurt $1.00 (Or Sour Cream $0.50)
French Fried Onions $2.05
Chicken Stock $0.25
The total cost to make this dish was only $14.52 for a 9 X 13-inch baking dish!
Additionally, each serving cost only $1.21, with our kids wanting extra servings and Tyler having a great amount for lunch for the next day. Having a meal under $20 is literally my favorite thing! With six of us on one income, keeping our meals on average to under $20 is how we can keep our weekly budget at $170 for food.
Cream of mushroom soup
The above cost includes the homemade cream of mushroom soup. Making cream of mushroom soup is actually a really quick process. Additionally, it is concentrated and can be added to stock to make more of a soup. This recipe can use chopped mushrooms or process them in a Cuisinart Food Processor to then make the mushrooms more of a minced texture. Click the link for my full blog on how to exactly make your own from scratch!
French Onion Beef Casserole Recipe
1 cup sour cream OR Greek yogurt
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup Frenches Fried Onions
10-oz cream of mushroom soup
1 package egg noodles
1 Tbsp Beef soup base
Directions for French Onion Beef Casserole
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with non-stick spray and then set aside.
3. Fill a 6-Quart pan with water 2/3 of the way up and then boil the water on the stove over medium-high heat.
4. When the water is boiling, cook the egg noodles as directed. Drain in a sink colander when finished and place into the baking dish, then set aside.
5. In a medium saucepan, cook ground beef until browned, making sure to break up any large clumps as you cook the beef.
6. When beef is cooked, drain any grease, and return to the stove.
7. Mix in 1 Tbsp L.B. Jamison’s beef soup base and 1 tsp minced onion to the ground beef, then stir to combine. Soup base is an amazing way to save money not buying those bulky boxes of stock.
8. Add sour cream OR Greek yogurt and blend into the cooked beef.
Sour cream may be cheaper, but it has a lot of fat for one small Tablespoon, plus, Greek yogurt is fat free, and tastes literally the same.
9. Mix in homemade cream of mushroom soup to the cooked beef mixture, stir to blend well and cooking an additional 3-5 minutes.
10. Fold the beef mixture into the egg noodles with a spatula while in the baking dish.
11. Finally, sprinkle French Fried Onions on the top of the mixture.
These add such a crunch and deep flavor to this bake dish, at a really reasonable price.
12. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve with a side of vegetables and enjoy!
To steam and then bake vegetables in the oven, slice the broccoli into large slabs. Place them onto a baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray, then sprinkle with salt and place 1/4 cup water on the pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. This not only cooks the vegetables but steams them by adding the water. This process works for raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans and more. Tonight, with French Onion Beef Casserole, we had broccoli and sweet peppers. It was magnificently delicious!
French Onion Beef Casserole Recipe
French Onion Beef Casserole
- 9 X 13-inch bake dish
- Sink Colander
- Non-stick spray
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Egg Noodles
- 1 cup Sour Cream OR Greek Yogurt
- 10 oz Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tbsp Beef Soup Base
- 1 cup Frenches Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray, then set aside.
- Fill a 6-Quart pan with water 2/3 of the way up and then set to boil on the stove.
- When the water is boiling, cook the egg noodles as directed.
- Drain in a sink colander when finished and place into the prepared baking dish, then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the 2-pounds ground beef until browned.
- When beef is cooked, drain any grease, and return the saucepan to the stove.
- Add sour cream OR Greek yogurt and then blend into the cooked beef using a spatula.
- Then mix in the canned OR homemade cream of mushroom soup to the cooked beef mixture.
- Mix in 1 tsp minced onion and 1 Tbsp beef soup base and blend well and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Fold the beef mixture into the egg noodles in the baking dish with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the Frenches Fried Onions on the top of the mixture in the bake dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve with a side of vegetables and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply