When at a loss as to what to make for dinner, our family heavily relies on pizza. How can we ever lose? However, when we all want pizza and there is no marinara or pizza sauce, then what is a momma to do? Recently I found a recipe for homemade pizza sauce that is literally the easiest recipe ever. With just three ingredients, this easy pizza sauce recipe has a bold flavor and is so smooth and delicious. America’s Test Kitchen has done it again with this win of a simple and amazing recipe.
Published March 24, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Crushed or Fire Roasted
As I typically do not have crushed tomatoes, I did not use these for this recipe. However, I did have a can of fire roasted tomatoes that worked just perfectly. The result was a bold and full-flavor pizza sauce, while being smooth. A can of regular diced tomatoes could also be substituted for crushed tomatoes if you have them on hand.
One joy of having canned foods in the pantry is being able to mix up a dinner or continue with a recipe if you find out you did forget to buy something.
I get a lot of recipes and meal ideas from America’s Test Kitchen. They are a show on PBS and test the recipes, gadgets and foods, then they give results and tips. As a result, I have watched their show for over ten years and honestly would not be able to cook well without them. They have a cookbook that is a comprehensive volume of their twenty years as a show, including hundreds of recipes and gadget evaluations.
This recipe for a Quick Tomato Sauce for Pizza is found on page 336 of their 2001-2019 volume. If you do not have this cookbook and you want to learn to make delicious and winning recipes, I highly recommend this cookbook.
Recipe for Pizza Sauce
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Tbsp oil
Salt and pepper
Directions for Pizza Sauce
1. Firstly, place the blade attachment in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Open the can of tomatoes and process in the bowl of a food processor until smooth.
3. Mince garlic cloves and then set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat, then add the garlic and sauté for 30-seconds or until fragrant.
5. Then stir in the tomatoes to the oil and garlic.
6. Simmer the tomatoes for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
We used this pizza sauce with two pizzas and had enough that they were not skimping on the sauce. If you need to make more than two pizzas, I highly recommend doubling this recipe. This recipe, when doubled, has enough volume for up to four pizzas that are roughly 14-16 inches. Enjoy!
Recipe for Pizza Sauce
Pizza Sauce From Scratch
- Cuisinart Food Processor
- Medium Saucepan
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the blade attachment in the bowl of a Cuisinart Food Processor.
- Open the can of crushed tomatoes and then process in the bowl of a food processor until smooth.
- Mince garlic cloves and then set aside.
- Heat the 1 Tbsp oil in a saucepan on medium heat, then add the minced garlic and sauté for 30-seconds or until fragrant.
- Then stir in the tomatoes to the oil and garlic.
- Simmer the tomatoes for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply