This recipe for Sweet Chili Sauce is so deliciously sweet with a pop of heat. All in all, this recipe yielded three cups of sauce with two pint sized jars filled and placed in the fridge for later use. Last week, we had Bang Bang Salmon that used a portion of this sauce. In addition to the Salmon getting a sauce, the steamed broccoli tasted amazing with it drizzled on top.
Published April 21, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
How to store the sauce
When this sauce cools completely, it can then be stored in an airtight container. For example, canning jars work perfectly to store this delicious sauce. As it is homemade, you can store it in the fridge. However, the sauce is not made with preservatives and will not last as long as a store-bought jar. This Homemade Sweet Chili sauce will last for many weeks in the fridge.
Cost for this recipe
For a simple and delicious recipe, the cost to make this sauce is not that much. Most of these ingredients are typical pantry staples or items that will be on-hand in the fridge. Check out the cost breakdown for this recipe for Sweet Chili Sauce below.
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce $0.04
1 cup white Sugar $0.29
1/2 tsp Salt $0.01
3 Tbsp Corn Starch $0.15
6 cloves Garlic $0.30
1/2 cup Vinegar $0.11
2-4 Tbsp Chili Pepper Flakes $1.00
The total cost for this recipe is $1.90.
This cost is from 2023.
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
Ingredients for Sweet Chili Sauce
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 cup white Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Corn Starch
6 cloves Garlic
2 Tbsp water
1/2 cup Vinegar
2-4 Tbsp Chili Pepper Flakes
Directions for Sweet Chili Sauce
1. Firstly, in a medium saucepan add white sugar, soy sauce, salt, vinegar and bring the ingredients to a boil.
2. Secondly, boil the Sweet Chili mixture for 3-5 minutes making sure to whisk constantly to prevent any burning.
3. Thirdly, add the crushed red pepper flakes to the Sweet Chili sauce and whisk well.
4. On a cutting board, mince the garlic cloves and add them to the Sweet Chili Sauce, boil for an additional minute.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water and then set it aside.
6. Reduce the heat to low and then add the corn starch slurry and whisk continuously.
7. Finally, let the Sweet Chili Sauce boil on low for 5 more minutes with regular stirring.
8. Let this mixture rest to cool before transferring to a jar for storage. In an airtight container, this Sweet Chili Sauce can stay fresh for many weeks. Just remember to use a clean spoon to stir it before using as settling can happen. Enjoy this amazing sauce on fish, steamed vegetables, or within another sauce. Click the link below to see how I used this exact sauce in a Bang Bang Salmon recipe that was literally the most delicious meal.
Sweet Chili Sauce can be used for a variety of meals. One of those is Bang Bang Salmon. Check out that recipe by clicking the link below. It is delicious and sweet and so easy to make.
Recipe for Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- Medium Saucepan
- Cutting board
- 3 Pint Jars
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 2-4 Tbsp Chili Pepper Flakes
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 Tbsp Water
- In a medium saucepan add 1 cup white sugar, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, salt, 1/2 cup vinegar and bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Boil the mixture for 3-5 minutes making sure to whisk constantly to prevent any burning.
- Add the 2-4 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce and whisk well.
- Mince 6 garlic cloves and add them to the saucepan, then boil for an additional minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 3 Tbsp corn starch and 2 Tbsp water and then set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and then add the corn starch slurry and whisk continuously.
- Finally, let the sauce boil on low for 5 more minutes with regular stirring.
- Let this mixture rest to cool before transferring to a container for storage. In an airtight container, this Sweet Chili Sauce can stay fresh for many weeks.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica’s Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.