I’d have to say, this was the most delicious Pork Tenderloin sandwich, ever. Maybe it was the homemade sourdough discard bread? Or the perfectly seasoned tenderloins pounded flat? Either way, this dinner was delicious and worth repeating and making for yourself. In this post I will share how to make your own mouth-watering and delicious Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches.
Published June 17, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Cost to make this recipe
Steak is expensive. Especially for our family of six. We would spend over thirty dollars if we were to buy steak for a steak sandwich. So as a replacement, we used a pork tenderloin for a Pork Tenderloin Sandwich for dinner. This tenderloin from ALDI was $10.33 and I was able to get 15 slices making the pork $0.68 per sandwich. Below is a great recipe for homemade bread with one loaf costing $0.50. If you choose to add cheese or tomato or dressing, that does add cost to this meal. We used Muenster cheese, guacamole, mayo and ranch.
Pork Tenderloin $10.33 (2.5 pounds)
Homemade Bread $0.50
The total cost to make 15 Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches was $13.52 making each sandwich $0.90.
In comparison, you can choose to use thinly sliced pork, however the cost is significantly higher. Pork tenderloin is $3.99 per pound while thinly sliced boneless pork chops cost $4.99 per pound and portioned at 1.5 pounds each package. Buying a whole pork tenderloin is much more cost effective and results in a larger yield of food.
Why Pound the Pork?
To make a good sandwich, one that stays moist and cooks evenly, pounding out the pork tenderloin slices helps a lot. You can choose to buy pre-cut pork tenderloin, but that will increase the cost. By using a meat tenderizer to pound the pork to 1/2-1/4 inch, you allow the fibers of the meat to break down helping to further tenderize the meat.
Below is a great image from pork.org that shows the different temperatures to properly cooked pork. By using a meat tenderizer and pounding the tenderloin slices, you then speed up the cooking time. Make sure to use a thermometer when cooking meat to know for sure it is cooked well.
Make your own bread!
Making bread from scratch should not be a scary thing to do. In fact, making bread, once you get over the initial hesitation, is actually quite easy to do. Below is a recipe for homemade bread that is easy to follow, comes out moist and delicious, and won’t break the bank! This day I used my sourdough discard to make a quick sourdough discard bread. I say it is “quick” because this bread, unlike authentic sourdough, only needs a few hours to rest rather than 18-24 hours. Click the link below for my recipe for homemade bread and stay tuned for my sourdough discard bread recipe!
Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
Ingredients for Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
1 Pork Tenderloin Cut into 1-inch sections
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Directions for Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
1. On a cutting board, slice a pork tenderloin into 1-inch segments.
2. Place one tenderloin slice between a piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board.
3. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the pork tenderloin thin, around 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
4. Warm oil in a skillet on Medium-High heat.
Using a ribbed skillet helps to develop those awesome grill-lines in the food as it cooks.
5. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
6. Place 4-6 tenderloin pieces into the hot pan and cook until browned.
7. Flip the tenderloin and cook until the temperature reaches 145-160 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. When done, remove the tenderloin from the pan and rest in a baking dish and cook the rest of the tenderloins.
9. Serve on bread with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Recipe for Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches on Homemade Bread
- Cutting board
- Plastic Wrap
- Baking Dish
- Ribbed Skillet
- Non-stick spray
- 1 Pork Tenderloin cut into 1-inch sections
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Slice a pork tenderloin into 1-inch segments.
- Place one tenderloin slice between a piece of plastic wrap on a cutting board.
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound the pork tenderloin thin, around 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Warm oil in a skillet on Medium-High heat.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 4-6 tenderloin pieces into the hot pan and cook until browned.
- Flip the tenderloin and cook until the temperature reaches 145-160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When done, remove the tenderloin from the pan and rest in a baking dish.
- Serve on bread with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply