Last summer our family took a vacation to Florida. With the fun in the sun, on the beach, and in the pool, my beach hat became wet and lost the stability it once had as a cute beach hat. In this post I will share how to Starch a Beach Hat that is Too-Floppy.
Published August 19, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
What is Liquid Starch
Miracle Product. That is all.
Honestly, it does so much!
Need to iron a shirt? Liquid starch. Want hotel crisp sheets? Liquid starch. Stiff collars? You betcha liquid starch can handle that! Live in a rental or an apartment? I bet you never knew you could paint liquid starch onto your walls and then place a bedsheet on, then repaint the liquid starch for a faux wallpaper, did you? Liquid starch is amazing. To check out how to use it for a faux wallpaper, click my blog link below where I detailed this process in our Laundry Room Update.
And on top of all of the awesomeness you can do with Liquid Starch, the greatest is that it is not an expensive product.
What a poor, limp hat. After experiencing many beaches and then being shoved into a suitcase, this adorable ALDI find lost its stiffness. Time for the Salon!
What will you need?
That’s it! Depending on your needs, you can dilute Liquid Starch to different concentrations for many uses.
1. To bring a limp beach hat back to its former glory, I decided to attempt a 50/50 mixture of water and Liquid Starch. The bigger the tub or area to cover the most surface area the better, thus using our laundry rooms’ slop sink with the glorious ‘wallpaper’ on the walls! Yes, that is being held up by Liquid Starch.
2. Pour in the Liquid Starch.
3. Place the floppy hat, or whichever you need to starch and soak, into the mixture.
4. I let this soak for 1 hour.
5. Every ten minutes I rotated the hat and wiggled it in the water to get the most out of the mixture.
6. On a counter, place a towel to rest your soaked item.
7. Let most of the liquid drip out before resting on the towel, making sure to not wring out the hat as you want it to reform while resting to dry.
But DO NOT rinse it out!
8. Rest the hat until it is completely dry. This took two full days.
This was halfway through day 2, it was not yet fully dry.
Honestly, this made a HUGE difference to this beach hat! I am so happy with the results and will be busting this beauty out the next time we have a beach day with no worries about its former floppiness.
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the hat before and after the Liquid Starch process. What a difference!!!
Finally, wear and enjoy a not-so-floppy hat once again!
Starch a Beach Hat Directions
Starch a Beach Hat- How to Starch a Too-Floppy Beach Hat
- Liquid Starch
- Slop sink or place to place item while soaking
- 50% Water
- 50% Liquid Starch
- Pour in the Liquid starch into the sink with the water in a 50/50 mixture.
- Place the floppy hat, or whichever you need to starch and soak, into the mixture.
- Let it soak for 1 hour, rotating when necessary for full coverage.
- On a counter, place a towel to rest your soaked item.
- Let most of the liquid drip out before resting on the towel, making sure to not wring out the hat as you want it to reform while resting to dry.
- DO NOT RINSE the liquid start out of the item.
- Rest the hat until it is completely dry.
- Finally, wear and enjoy a not-so-floppy hat once again!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica’s Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.