This recipe for a Japanese Mushroom Soup will take you right back to any Hibachi restaurant and is so tasty and packed with flavor. For such a small financial investment and roughly 20 minutes, this soup is ready to serve and will wow even the toughest eater.
Published January 13, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Cost breakdown for this recipe
This recipe is incredibly inexpensive for the brilliant flavor that it gives.
Below is the cost breakdown for the ingredients to make this Japanese Mushroom Soup.
1 celery $0.20
1/2 sweet onion $0.25
1 carrot $0.20
900ml broth $1.00
6 mushrooms $1.89
1 tsp soy $0.02
1 tsp sesame oil $0.05
2 green onions $0.08
The total price for this soup is $3.69.
We did make a double batch, which cost only $7.38.
Even though this soup was over $7, there was still no leftovers as this was the most delicious soup.
Our kids all loved it and fought over who got the last bowl.
As easy as this recipe is to make, it can then help to be a perfect pairing for dinner.
This soup can also be made a day ahead of time and then warmed slowly on the stove.
There are a few variations for this recipe, and a small change can make a big difference.
Instead of just mushrooms, you can add Chinese Vermicelli, or cellophane noodles.
Traditionally, this Japanese Mushroom Soup was made with a combination of mushrooms, which include shimeji, maitake, nameko, shiitake.
To keep this recipe vegetarian, you can use vegetable broth, add tofu and more vegetables.
Ingredients for Japanese Mushroom Soup
1/2 sweet onion
1 tsp soy
1 tsp sesame oil
pinch salt and pepper
2 green onions
Directions for Japanese Mushroom Soup
1. Place a medium pot onto the stove and heat to medium.
Make sure to use a pot that will hold the amount of liquid you will need.
2. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and then warm the pot on medium heat.
3. Wash and then on a cutting board dice the onion, carrot and celery and then add them to the warm pot.
These do not need to be small bits, just roughly diced and cut as they will be sautéed and flavor for the soup.
4. Sauté the vegetables until tender and golden.
5. To the vegetables, add 900ml broth from a measuring cup and then bring it to a boil.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and then strain the liquid into an additional large bowl.
7. On a cutting board, cut the mushrooms in half and then remove any of the ribbed brown underside.
8. Pour the broth back into the pot, add 1 tsp soy sauce and then place the pot of both back on the stove.
9. Slice the mushrooms thin and then add them to the broth, turning the heat to medium.
10. Bring the soup back to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Finally, sprinkle with sliced green onions and then serve and enjoy!
Japanese Mushroom Soup Recipe
Japanese Mushroom Soup
- Cutting board
- 1 Celery
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 900 mg Broth
- 6 Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 2 Green Onions
- Place a medium pot onto the stove and heat to medium.
- Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and then warm.
- Wash and then dice the onion, carrot and celery and then add them to the warm pot.
- Sauté the vegetables until tender and golden.
- To the vegetables, add 900ml broth and then bring it to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and then strain the liquid into an additional large bowl.
- Cut the mushrooms in half and then remove any of the ribbed brown underside.
- Pour the broth back into the pot and then place the pot of both back on the stove.
- Slice the mushrooms thin and then add them to the broth, turning the heat to medium.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle with sliced green onions and then serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.